Sunday, April 11, 2004

Fantasy Island | My brother sneers at those of us who play in fantasy baseball leagues. He thinks it dilutes our joy in being fans, because we measure results -- of individual at-bats, not to mention games -- in what it means to our fantasy team, not just in their impact on our favorite teams.

But I think playing in a fantasy league has made me a better fan. I have a far greater knowledge of other teams' players -- especially those in the American League -- and I follow results across MLB much more closely than I ever did before. And I never, ever let my affection for my fantasy team supercede my love for the Phillies.

Besides, for the better part of a day each spring, I get to hang with a bunch of great guys who love to talk baseball. (There may also be the occasional stray comment about women, I concede.) Yesterday was draft day, and as usual a great time was had by all. We had eight of our 11 managers present, with three guys drafting by phone, including one from his in-laws' place in Spain. That, friends, is dedication.

And because I know you care, these are the non-Phillies for whom I'll be rooting this season: Alex Rodriguez, Garrett Anderson, Scott Rolen, Aubrey Huff, Jay Gibbons, Orlando Cabrera, Eric Hinske, Michael Young, and Geoff Jenkins. These players are the 2004 Tomatoes. Kindly wish them, and their manager, well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home