Monday, August 02, 2004

Rotation Play

I won't lie to you.

Yeah, I started this thing more than a year ago as a way to do something for myself. Yeah, I told myself that if folks checked it out and liked what they read, well, that would be pretty nice. Yeah, it's been kind of cool to find out that there are indeed people all over the world who, for reasons known only to them, hunger for news and views regarding Phillies baseball, and come to Shallow Center as part of their foraging.

But then I found out that I'm in some kind of demand, and, well, then I really had some juice.

And so when Evan Brunell of the fledgling Most Valuable Network e-mailed and asked me to join Jane Conroy on her Phillies blog, Phanatic Phollow Up, I was intrigued. Well, intrigued and flattered. Alright, flattered. Anyway, I poked around the other MVN sites, listened to Evan tell me his plans for world domination, and thought, hey, I'd like to be part of that.

But as much as Shallow Center is mine, Phanatic Phollow Up is Jane's, so she and I did some brainstorming for a new name, something that would represent a newly hatched project we could work on together and build up over time. Thus was born Poor Richard's Scorecard, the new Phils blog on MVN. From now on, just about all of my Phillies stuff will be posted there. So do update your links and bookmarks accordingly, and check out my stuff as well as Jane's.

The thought of giving up Shallow Center is too much to bear -- no, really, it is -- and so this little site will live on. The banner at the top mentions something about "pop culture and other important matters," so if the urge strikes me to write about something other than Larry Bowa's job status, I still have a place to put it. And I plan on taking advantage of that, regularly. There's a very fulfilling non-baseball portion of my life, and I do enjoy writing about it, so please continue to check back here.

As always, let me know what you think, of what's happening here and on MVN, by leaving comments or dropping an e-mail. Thanks very, very much for reading so far -- and keep it up!

6 Comments:

At August 3, 2004 at 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you have a day job? DSJC

 
At August 3, 2004 at 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yours is a great blog, sports and non-sports. And you pump out an amazing amount of content. So many blogs die from the writer's blog-fatigue, but you've always got something smart to say - whether I agree with you (Lucinda Williams, Kirsty MacColl) or not (Del Amitri, Bruce Hornsby). As Bono once said: I will follow.

 
At August 3, 2004 at 11:04 AM, Blogger gr said...

so shallow center has been swollowed up by corporate takeover? damn these free market trappings. power to the people!

 
At August 3, 2004 at 3:35 PM, Blogger The Art of Rory said...

To DSJC: Ha-ha. To Anonymous: E-mail me off-list; I love to hear from fellow Kirsty fans. To Greg: If this really were a corporate takeover, I'd be lighting cigars with $100 bills, and I can assure you that that's not happening!

 
At August 4, 2004 at 6:17 PM, Blogger gr said...

tom - i am thinking that is a krusty reference and if it is, we are talking about the BEST SIMPSONS EVER: CLOWN COLLEGE!

if SC turns into more a pop culture discussion, all for the better; two blogs instead of one. sort of like when uncle tupelo became both wilco and son volt. ok, i'll stop now.

 
At August 4, 2004 at 10:21 PM, Blogger The Art of Rory said...

I know Wilco is the very definition of a critics' darling, but I actually like Son Volt's stuff a little better. I know, I know -- there goes my hipster cred.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home