Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Wait 'til Next Year. Please.

Larry Bowa is gone, the Phillies have hunkered down to discuss his replacement, and the mainstream media and blogosphere alike have fingered everyone but Steve Bartman as the cause for yet another doomed season. It's all so ... numbing. Backward, clueless, and incapable of innovative thinking, the Phils squandered an absolutely golden opportunity to reintroduce baseball to Philadelphia. Most years I can overlook the futility, enjoy postseason action, and eagerly anticipate next year; now, though, I feel so beaten down by the drudgery of the season, after such high expectations, that I actually am looking forward to the break. I'll be back at Citizens Bank Park next year, of course, but with a much more guarded enthusiasm. I wore my heart on my sleeve this year -- new ballpark, new closer, returning stars, etc. -- only to get it broken like a high school sophomore's. Not next year, boyo. Next year I'm playing hard to get.

5 Comments:

At October 5, 2004 at 6:05 PM, Blogger gr said...

inexplicably, comcast in DC had a retrospective on the phils year last night. and even more inexplicably, i watched it. a season's worth of pain in 30 minutes. intensly frustrating.

 
At October 6, 2004 at 11:11 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Now's a good time to thank you for your excellent commentary this season. I know it wasn't easy, but you stuck with it. Will you attempt it again next season? (Not that you should mothball SC until Spring).

 
At October 6, 2004 at 12:50 PM, Blogger The Art of Rory said...

Tom: Of course I'll re-up; I'm easy, you know. :-)
Greg: Fool me once ...
Mark: Thanks much. Shallow Center will indeed remain up and running through the off-season.

 
At October 6, 2004 at 3:20 PM, Blogger Iain said...

Tom - time to change that Del Amitri CD in the changer. How about "Some Other Sucker's Parade"? ;-)

I'm sorry the season sucked for Phillies fans - the upside for us neutrals is that there is a whole bunch of them out there writing very well about their pain. Keep up the good work on the blog :-)

 
At October 7, 2004 at 9:49 AM, Blogger The Art of Rory said...

Iain: Yeah, I need to change the sidebar reading/listening listings. Soon, I promise. I'm sure Phillies management will ask the various managerial candidates, "Can you do me good?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home