Tuesday, November 02, 2004

That's the Chicago Way

My 3-year-old daughter proved today that she has a wonderfully engaged civic future ahead of her.

Or a lifetime of rampant political corruption.

We had traveled to our polling place this morning to cast our ballot and remove the swing-state shackles of direct mail and recorded phone calls that had imprisoned us for the last two months. Inside the booth, I made my choices. I directed my daughter to press the orange button, the one which would record my vote. The machine made its happy voting noise, we stepped through the curtain, and I told her, "We did it! We voted! Way to go!" High-fives and happiness all around.

Then, she piped up with a very familiar word, the one she uses whenever she does something she really likes.

"Again."

"Well, sweetheart, next year. We'll come back next year and vote."

"No, I want to vote again! Again!"

I'll have to do some genealogy research to see if we're related to the Daleys of Chicago.

4 Comments:

At November 2, 2004 at 12:38 PM, Blogger Mark said...

This was the first time I let my 7 year old hit all the levers (I usually just let him open and close the curtain - another lever in Jersey). He came out of the booth yelling, "I voted, I voted!" Thank God there weren't any "poll watchers" present. BTW, he didn't need to be told who to select. That's my boy.

 
At November 2, 2004 at 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that's also the Philadelphia way! I'm glad that my granddaughter is starting her political education early, now Grandpop and I must make sure that we spend enough time with her so she is properly indoctrinated by the time she's 18. Mom

 
At November 2, 2004 at 6:27 PM, Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

Now, now, Ma. There's no political corruption in Philadelphia! John Street and Lynne Abraham said those allegations of added votes to some machines are hogwash. I have to believe them, because they have such credibility.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Either way, I hope it is decided tonight, and not a week later like last time. Whomever loses, be gracious about it and accept it right away.

 
At October 20, 2022 at 12:07 AM, Anonymous Clovis Stone Contractors said...

Thank you foor being you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home