Friday, January 23, 2004

Family Matters


Mark Twain is reputed to have written, "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

Whether or not those words were scratched by Twain's pen, they certainly ring true to this 34-year-old. If anything, the thought is too limiting -- I'd apply the sentiment to both parents, and I'd include humor to go with wisdom.

For example, Shallow Center's deputy South Jersey correspondent, known colloquially as Mom, responds to my post on the recent renewed Phillies coverage with a smartly written and very funny e-mail:


Gee, if the starting rotation is expected to go seven innings, won't they expect a bonus for doing that? I hate that complete games from starters are almost unheard of now, almost as much as I hate the designated hitter. But, that's another story for another time.

Regarding Darren Daulton joining the team, he should be a really good influence on the young guys -- not!


Hard to disagree with Mom on either point. Seven innings used to be rule, not the exception, and at this point the troubled Daulton has undergone more perp walks than intentional walks.

Meanwhile, the news that his third son has joined his first and second sons in penning his own online musings (more on that later) leads my father to, naturally and as expected, bust our chops after a friend suggest we simply combine our efforts:


That would be like watching, or in this case reading, The Three Stooges.

--Father of The Blog(s)


This is high comedy, folks. And from Mom and Dad Shallow Center, no less. Perhaps they should start blogs of their own. . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home