Thursday, June 24, 2004

Now Hear This

Less than two weeks after this site's redesign, one which now includes the music to which I'm currently listening, All-Baseball's Jon Weisman, Mike Carminati, and Will Carroll check in with posts on the music to which they're currently listening (or to which they once did listen). Coincidence?

The record that has me excited right now is Death Cab for Cutie's Transatlanticism. I need to listen to it some more to really wrap my arms around it, but my early impression is that of a pleasing, relatively stripped-down sound that nicely fills the gap between somnolent, brooding singer-songwriters and the dull, unimaginative twentysomething bands that comprise what passes for modern rock. There's a genuineness about Death Cab's record, a kind of thoughtful passion, that really grows on you.

3 Comments:

At June 24, 2004 at 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're starting to horn in on my turf now with these music reviews. ;) - Corinne

 
At June 28, 2004 at 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i practically ruined that record for myself by listening to it relentlessly for about 2 months. i remember feeling something along the lines of "why shoudl i be allowed to write when this guy can do it a millions times better" on basically every single song. for all the praise heaped on the postal service record, this album's writing is way way better.

-gr

 
At June 28, 2004 at 1:22 PM, Blogger The Art of Rory said...

Greg -- I haven't heard enough of the Postal Service record to make that kind of comparison, but your thought is one I have whenever I read a great book or check out a great blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home