Saturday, May 29, 2004

Don't Blink or You'll Miss It | We were out last night, so it wasn't until this morning that I realized the Phillies had to scratch out a couple of late runs against the Braves just to send the game into extra innings. By the time we got home and I put the game on to check the score, it was the bottom of the 10th and Chase Utley was up. Utley ripped a ball that appeared headed toward the gap, until a fine leaping grab by Atlanta's second baseman. Tomas Perez then strode to the plate, and I remember thinking to myself, hmmm, he has some pop; maybe he can send everyone home happy. I turned the TV off, went upstairs, and turned on the set in our room -- just in time to see Perez being mobbed by the Phils between home plate and the first-base dugout.

So: Elation because the Phillies won? Frustration because the Marlins did, too, to keep pace in National League East? Or irritation because I missed Perez's tater?

My solution to this dilemma was two minutes of irritation, followed by lots of elation. As for the Fish, I didn't know they had won until this morning.

Finally, I just love that guys like Tomas Perez can have the chance to be heroes. Baseball is a great, great game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home